Sunday, June 8, 2008

The World Book Encyclopedia



The previous owners of our house left us a 1980s set of World Book Encyclopedias when they moved out. Little did we know that by doing so, the Fergusens had provided Emmylou a seemingly infinite source of entertainment. She recognizes more countries flags, more breeds of dogs and more species of fish than I ever will. Recently I've been doing my best to answer questions about atoms, atomic and mass numbers and electron orbits. I came home from work the other day to find that she had been working all afternoon on a Periodic Table of the Elements. Its admittedly crude, but she's 5 years old for crying out loud! Is this cute or macabre? Any advice on whether or not we should enroll her in kindergarten this year?

7 comments:

Thomas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas said...

That is amazing!! You Tidwells have such smart kids, I'm sure she gets it from her mother!!! Just kidding, I'm sure it comes from both parents. I would say that Emmylou is better at chemistry than me. Her periodic table is awesome! I say that only because I really didn't like chemistry. Keep it up Emmylou, and good luck with those questions Jim!!

Reeses Pieces said...

I love the pics and slideshow. You two have a sweet, little, SMART family.

Ranae said...

Kindergarten?? I think it's already a bit too late for that. I BET money that the first two weeks of school the teacher talks to you about bumping her up a grade. Keep it up and maybe she can go on Oprah!

G-Dawg and the Fam said...

Have you seen little man Tate? Maybe there's schools for the gifted in Temple for her. It's not free I'm sure and it may not be as educational as far as social skills go, but who needs to learn those anyways? That's what church is for! haha. I hope she's not ashamed of me when I visit her next time and she realizes she's smarter than me. I must admit, it's a little freaky - but a good freaky! I don't know if it's the fact that she can grasp it or the fact that it's interesting to her that's so amazing.

KID, MD said...

That is awesome!! What a smart cookie.

Warren said...

Jim
This is Warren Call me 801 943-3544 or 801 652-5967 as quick as you can we need to talk See Ya