Sunday, June 1, 2008

Yard Work




I've always enjoyed having a shovel in my hand, but it has never been so much fun as when I'm working in my own yard. We have high hopes for our garden this year. The tree whose shade kept us from ever growing anything that wasn't laughable died last Winter. I bought a chainsaw and cut it down this Spring. We've already harvested a summer squash and green peas. The kids insisted on planting Okra and purple-hulled peas in addition to tomatos and watermelon. They've become quite the little helpers, each has their own watering can and loves to sprinkle the moutain laurel, the tree named Steve (a red bud) and the "Eater-leaves" (a cast-iron plant that they think eats things). Here are some pictures, come and visit any time.

8 comments:

Reeses Pieces said...

Looks great. I love yardwork but in this humidity it kills me. It's almost easier to stay out and get it done, than taking breaks every 10 min. Do you agree? Happy Yardworking!

Emily said...

I really miss your yard--all of the shade! You've really got it whipped into shape! By the way Jim, you were the whole closet inspiration. The adjustable shelves idea solved a lot of problems. I was contemplating buying a dadoe blade or a router. You saved us some money.

Thomas said...

That yard looks amazing. It really is impressive that you did all that landscaping, and are also harvesting a garden. That is what I call dedication. I think it is funny that you have a fake plant that eats things!!! It might be sad that you lost your shade, but your yard looks great.

-Tom

Grandma Shauna said...

How pretty your yard looks. I just want to come and sit on your little bench and enjoy it.

Love, Aunt Shauna

G-Dawg and the Fam said...

Well I must say you have a much better attitude about yard work than I do. Props to you for doing it, enjoying and making it look good! How you find the time, I'll never know. Looks like my garden will go yet another year, plantless. Wish I could come see yours!

-Ginger

Jim & Tomi said...

Jim it still scares me to think of you with a chainsaw in your hands. (Maybe orthopedic surgery is what you should have done. They use saws don't they?) Your yard looks beautiful. Wish we could come play.

Tracy said...

What a great yard. Half our garden is dead already and you've already harvested. Don't seem to have your green thumb. Mindy and Matt have about a half acre--no lawn mower, lots of weeds and Matt starts 1st year tomorrow. I bet their yard won't be as cute for a while--unless Mindy really gets into it.
Love to see it in person, but it seems we just fly to see babies of our own now. Love ya, Tracy

Warren said...

Jim
What up to the Head email me at warrenbaggaley@yahoo.com that way we can keep in touch with each other take care see ya Man or you can call me at home 801-943-3544 Thanks